Installing and Uninstalling RoboForm
- Troubleshooter: I cannot download RoboForm. What should I do?
- Should I uninstall old RoboForm version before installing the new version?
- When I upgrade to a new version of RoboForm, will my Identities and Passcards be lost?
- If I upgrade to the new version of RoboForm, do I have to pay again for RoboForm Pro?
- We use mass installer to install RoboForm. How to do it correctly?
- My Passcards, Identities and Safenotes disappeared. How do I get them back?
- How can I uninstall RoboForm?
- When will version for new Firefox/Mozilla come out?
- Can RoboForm be made portable by storing Passcards on removable USB disk?
- RoboForm Enterprise Licensing FAQs
Common RoboForm Troubleshooter
- Troubleshooter: RoboForm does not attach to my browser. Why?
- How to get a clean install of RoboForm after things got messed up?
- How do I make my USB key not lose files when I pull it out?
- How do I fix broken AutoPlay function on USB disk?
- My USB disk is not recognized by Windows when inserted? How to fix this?
RoboForm Toolbar and Other Controls
- Troubleshooter: the RoboForm Toolbar does not show up. Why?
- The RoboForm toolbar in View.Toolbars is mixed up with other toolbars or the RoboForm toolbar is represented by an item with an empty name. What should I do?
- RoboForm Toolbar cannot be hidden in Full Screen IE mode on Windows XP. What to do?
- How can I customize the RoboForm Toolbar?
- How do I customize RoboForm buttons in the Standard IE toolbar?
- Can I reduce the number of RoboForm items in the IE Tools menu?
- How do I customize (get rid of) RoboForm context menu items?
- I enabled all RoboForm IE context menu items but not all of them show up. What should I do?
- RoboForm Taskbar Icon
- Saving Forms to Passcards
Filling Forms from Passcards and Identities, Login
- Troubleshooter: Filling Forms from Identities or Passcards does not work as expected. Why?
- How do I memorize multi-step login sequences such as in Bank of America?
- How do I make RoboForm to Login in new tab window in multitab browser such as IE 7, IE 8 or Firefox?
- I filled in some fields manually and RoboForm fills them in again. How can I avoid this?
- A form has names and e-mails of other people but RoboForm fills my name and e-mail. What to do?
- How do I fill Shipping and Billing Address using RoboForm?
- How can I enter several credit cards one Identity?
- I see only US in the list of countries in Identity. How do I change it to another country?
- My phone number is not filled correctly anymore. What should I do?
- RoboForm made a mistake when filling a form. How come?
- I upgraded to RoboForm Pro but Identity Editor still shows only 5 custom fields. How do I get more?
- Login command does not login into the site automatically. What should I do?
- Troubleshooter: The AutoFill dialog does not come up. Why?
- How can I permanently disable AutoFill for all web sites?
- How can I disable AutoFill just for one web site?
- How can I make AutoFill come up only for Passcards and not for Identities?
- How can I customize location and behavior of AutoFill dialog?
- I enter web page where I can edit my personal information and it is pre-filled by RoboForm?
- Why some Passcards appear in bold in FillForms dialog?
- AutoFill dialog is not positioned properly. Why?
- How can I change the number of fields that causes the AutoFill window to come up?
Password-Protecting Passcards and Identities
- I have forgotten my Master Password. How can I recover/remove it?
- If somebody steals my computer with RoboForm on it, can they get into my accounts?
- I entered Master Password and now RF opens all password-protected Passcards not asking for MP?
- Why Robot icon wears sunglasses from time to time?
- How can I make sure that nobody can use my Passcards when I need to step out?
- How are my Identities and Passcards encrypted?
- What is the relationship between the Default Password from Identity and Passwords stored in Passcards?
- How do I tell RoboForm not to password-protect all my new Passcards?
- I need no password protection for my Identities and Passcards. How do I get rid of Master Password?
Backing Up and Managing Identities, Passcards and Settings
- How do I copy RoboForm with all its data from one computer to another computer?
- How do I synchronize Passcards and Identities of RoboForm between several computers?
- How do I get back to the default RoboForm settings?
- RoboForm cannot save Passcards or Identities saying that "Access is Denied". What to do?
- I cannot save new passcards on Vista, RF says that file cannot be overwritten. What to do?
- How can I remove all my Passcards and Identities?
- I receive messages such as: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. Operation aborted.
- How different RoboForm components affect performance of my computer?
- How do I report a problem or a suspected bug?
- When I fill forms I sometimes see brief Internet activity. Is it related to RoboForm?
- Why does the AutoUpdate dialog come up so often? It is annoying.
- For RoboForm enthusiasts
Installing and Uninstalling RoboForm Enterprise
Q: Troubleshooter: I cannot download RoboForm. What should I do?
A: Use Download Troubleshooter to determine what happened:
- A corrupted version of the RoboForm installer file got stuck in your browser's cache. You should clean up your browser's cache and try to download again. To clean IE cache, select "Tools -> Internet Options" and click the "Delete Files" button.
- You may have a virus that modifies every downloaded file. RoboForm installer checks its integrity and it complains if it sees that the file was changed. Please check your computer for viruses and perform necessary disinfection.
- RoboForm distribution file is an *.EXE file and some buggy versions of Quick Time and possibly other add-ons intercept downloading of *.EXE files but cannot perform it. A quick fix is to right-click the "Direct Download" link on www.roboform.com, select "Save Target As...", specify a folder to which RoboForm installer file should be saved, complete downloading and then click "Open" on the dialog that comes up.
Q: Should I uninstall old RoboForm version before installing the new version?
A: No. Just install the new version over the old version.
Q: When I upgrade to a new version of RoboForm, will my Identities and Passcards be lost?
A: No. RoboForm User Data folder is not removed or modified by RoboForm installer.
Q: If I upgrade to the new version of RoboForm, do I have to pay again for RoboForm Pro?
A: So far we did not charge for upgrades. Just install the new version over the old version. However, if you upgrade from ver 5 to ver 6, you will lose Pro status and you will have to activate RoboForm Pro again, but you do not have to buy it again.
Q: We use mass installer to install RoboForm. How to do it correctly?
A: Mass install software uses special Windows account .DEFAULT to run RoboForm installer. RoboForm treats it as a real user and tries to create My RoboForm Data folder for it. To correct this problem, run RoboForm installer from real Windows account, say from Administrator. Or if you ran it already from .DEFAULT then delete registry valueHKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Siber Systems\RoboForm\RootUserDataDir
Q: My Passcards, Identities and Safenotes disappeared. How do I get them back?
A: Most likely, they are not lost. You just need to find them on your hard drive and tell RoboForm where they are.
- Find your Passcard files on your hard drives:
- Click Start button and select Search -> For Files and Folders.
- Put *.RFP into "All or part of the file name" (use *.RFT for Identities and *.RFN for Safenotes).
- Put "Local Hard Drives" into "Look In".
- Click Search button and note the folder in which your Passcards and Identities appear.
- Be aware that hidden files will not be found by Windows Explorer by default. To make it really search all folders, open Windows Explorer and select "Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders" option.
- Tell RoboForm where the files you found are:
- Click RoboForm button on RF toolbar (or taskbar) and select Options,
- Go to "User Data" tab,
- Click Set Folder,
- Select the folder that you found in step 1.
Q: How can I uninstall RoboForm?
A: Select "Start -> Programs -> AI RoboForm -> Uninstall". If RoboForm the embedded uninstaller does not work, click this link: RoboForm Uninstaller. It will download and run a file that will uninstall RoboForm. If you did not close all browser windows when uninstalling RoboForm then the file RoboForm.dll will remain locked. However, you can reboot and remove the file manually.
Q: When will version for new Firefox/Mozilla come out?
A: After the official dot release of Firefox or Mozilla appears on mozilla.org, it takes from 3 to 10 days to add support for this release in RoboForm. We are not given any materials in advance by Mozilla.org. The news of the new RoboForm Mozilla Adapter release will appear on the browsers page.
Q: Can RoboForm be made portable by storing Passcards on removable USB disk?
A: Yes. Preparing Removable Disk for Use with RoboForm:
- Copy RoboForm data files (Passcards and identities) from your hard drive to removable disk manually OR
- In RoboForm -> Options -> User Data click "Backup" button, select folder "My RoboForm Data" on your Removable Drive as the destination for backup. Create the folder if it is not there.
Using the Prepared Removable Disk on outside computers:
- RoboForm has to be installed on a client computer before it can work there. If RoboForm is not installed on a client computer, install it from www.roboform.com/download.html or from saved installer.
- Go into RoboForm -> Options -> User Data, click "Set Folder" button, and set RoboForm Data Folder to the "My RoboForm Data" folder on your removable drive (smth like F:\My RoboForm Data). This causes RoboForm installed on a client computer to read data from your Removable drive.
- Insert Portable drive into a socket and if RF Taskbar icon is running, it will recognize appearance of RoboForm data and it will turn on RoboForm.
- When done browsing, pull out USB disk from the socket. RoboForm will recognize disappearance of user data and it will turn itself Off.
RoboForm Enterprise Licensing FAQs
Q: How does licensing work for RoboForm Enterprise?
A: RoboForm is licensed per computer. That is, one license is required for every computer where you install RoboForm. Second license is sold at big discount to make RoboForm affordable for one user with two computers.
Q: RoboForm tells me that my activations were exceeded. What should I do?
A: If you activated RoboForm Pro on more computers than is allowed by your license(s), you should buy additional licenses for additional computers at http://upgrade.roboform.com/. If you are activating RoboForm Pro on the same computer as before, then ask RoboForm Support to add more activations and your request will be granted if your activation history supports that claim.
Q: How can I determine whether RoboForm Enterprise is activated?
A: Click RoboForm Taskbar icon and select "Help -> About" or select RoboForm -> Help -> About in RoboForm toolbar. The dialog that appears shows you the Free/Pro status.
Common RoboForm Troubleshooting
Q: Troubleshooter: RoboForm does not attach to my browser. Why?
A: There are several reasons why RoboForm cannot attach to your browser. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
- You are using a browser in which RoboForm does not work. RoboForm does not work in Opera, Netscape 4, and Compuserve 7. RoboForm works in Internet Explorer, browsers based on IE and browsers based on Gecko (Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape 7 and 8). For a complete list of supported and not-supported browsers check Official Browser List. If your browser is not in this list, contact us and we will add it, if it is possible.
- You are using Netscape, Mozilla or Firefox and you did not install RoboForm Adapter for these browsers.
- You did not install RoboForm in this Windows account. RoboForm must be installed in each Windows account that wants to use it. Install RoboForm in the Windows account where you want to use it or for All Users.
- Your Limited Windows account is not allowed to install software. Change your account type to Power user or Administrator, these users are allowed to install software. You will have to login to Administrator and change your account privileges. Limited user can only install a limited version of RoboForm that requires presence of RoboForm Taskbar icon to operate.
- You are using an IE-based browser that is not the IE itself (AOL, MSN) and RoboForm Taskbar icon is not running in the Windows Taskbar, at the lower right corner near the clock. Make sure that RoboForm Taskbar Icon is running in the Taskbar. You can start it by selecting "Start -> Programs -> AI RoboForm -> Taskbar Icon".
- You are using an IE-based browser that is not the IE itself (AOL, MSN) on Windows 98, NT, 2000 and Microsoft Active Accessibility is not installed. Run AA Installer if RoboForm asks for it.
- You may have changed the RoboForm User Data folder to a folder that contains no Passcards. Verify that you still can see your Passcards by starting the Passcard Editor (Passcards -> Edit) and verifying the list of Passcards. Use the "Passcards -> Refresh" command to make sure that cached Passcards are in sync with Passcard files on your hard drive. If RoboForm "forgot" where your Passcard files are located, you can find them using this advice.
- You may be using an old or buggy version of RoboForm. Check your current RoboForm version in "Help -> About" dialog. The first thing to do is to upgrade to the latest official version available for download at download page.
Q: How to get a clean install of RoboForm after things got messed up?
A: If things got really messed up (you are getting E08 error message, or a notice about double RF DLLs), you can get a clean start by doing this sequence:
- In every Windows account start this program: rfwipeout.exe. It will clean out all remnants of old RoboForm versions. You MUST uninstall RoboForm from *all* accounts first. When uninstalling, you must Logoff and then Login to switch from one account to another, you cannot use Windows Switch command.
- Install RoboForm from Windows Administrator account.
- Install RoboForm in all other Windows accounts where you need it.
Q: How do I make my USB key not lose files when I pull it out?
A: Officially you are supposed to tell Windows to Stop the USB key before pulling it out, so that Windows can flush its disk cache to USB. Unofficially you can set USB drive into a mode where disk cache will not be used, so you can pull out any time without stopping:
- Click "Safely Remove Hardware" USB icon in Taskbar.
- Check "Display Device Components" in dialog that comes up.
- Click the "USB Flash Disk Device", the middle one in the 3-level tree.
- Click Properties.
- Select Policies tab.
- Select "Optimize for Quick Removal" and click OK.
Q: How do I fix broken AutoPlay function on USB disk?
A: In general, only device manufacturer can answer this question. However, Microsoft offers the "AutoPlay Repair Wizard" from this link This is what they say:
- Save it to your desktop and unplug your USB drive.
- Run the program you downloaded and insert your USB drive when prompted
- This should correct AutoPlay problem.
Q: My USB disk is not recognized by Windows when inserted? How to fix this?
A: If your USB key is still physically "healthy", this can be fixed by reloading USB driver:
- Double-click USB icon in Windows Taskbar.
- Select "USB Storage Device", click "Properties".
- Select "Driver" tab, click "Uninstall" button, wait for driver to uninstall.
- Replug your USB drive, and Windows will reinstall the driver automatically.
- Uninstalling the 2nd level in the driver tree ("USB 2.0 Flash Disk Device") may be needed too.
If USB icon in Windows Taskbar does not appear:
- Right click My Computer on desktop
- go to Hardware
- click Device Manager
- Drill into USB controllers
- go into Properties of USB Mass Storage Device.
- Or in Device Manager do View -> Devices by Connection and Drill down to your USB disk,
- Uninstall all drivers related to your USB drive.
RoboForm Toolbar and Other Controls - Troubleshooting
Q: Troubleshooter: the RoboForm Upper or Lower Toolbar does not show up. Why?
A: There are several reasons the toolbar may not appear. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
- First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter. Then check the toolbar-specific items below.
- The Toolbar was added to IE but it is hidden. Make it visible again. There are 2 ways to do it:
- Click "RoboForm" (Green Robot) button in the Standard IE toolbar several times.
- Select "View -> Toolbar -> RoboForm" in IE. If other non-RoboForm toolbar appears then select "View -> Toolbar -> other toolbar name". Due to a bug in IE RoboForm can appear under some other name in "View -> Toolbar" list.
- The Toolbar is visible but only partially. Drag it out. If you see only the word "RoboForm" and a chevron next to it, then drag the toolbar by the word RoboForm to make it occupy more space horizontally and then you will see all of it. If it does not move then you have your toolbars locked. Unlock them by unchecking "View -> Toolbars -> Lock the Toolbars".
- You disabled browser extensions. In IE open "Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced". Look at the Browsing section. The option "Enable 3rd party browser extensions" should be checked. If it is not checked, check it, click OK and restart the computer.
- RoboForm is disabled in Browser AddOns (SP2). In IE open "Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage AddOns". Find entry named RoboForm, of type Toolbar and enable it.
Q: IE View.Toolbars menu contains two "Links" (or "Radio" or "RoboForm") items and only one of them is in fact the RoboForm toolbar. Or this menu contains "Radio" (or "Links") and "RoboForm" items but the "Radio" item points to the RoboForm toolbar and the "RoboForm" item points to the Radio toolbar. Or this menu contains an item with an empty name and this item represents the RoboForm toolbar. What should I do?
A: This is caused by this bug that appears in all IE versions. Microsoft acknowledges this bug. The best way to make the RoboForm toolbar visible (the one that does not depend on MS bugs) is to click RoboForm button on standard IE toolbar up to 3 times or to right-click web page and select Robo Toolbar.
Q: RoboForm Toolbar cannot be hidden in Full Screen IE mode on Windows XP. What to do?
A: This is caused by a bug in Windows XP. It works correctly in Windows 2000. The same thing happens to other toolbars (Yahoo) on XP. Make RoboForm Toolbar to show on one line with another toolbar, such as Standard buttons. Then you can hide it.
Q: How can I customize the RoboForm Toolbar?
A: Right-click Toolbar and select "Customize Toolbar...". In the dialog that appears you can make toolbar buttons visible and invisible by moving them between "Available toolbar buttons" (invisible buttons) and "Current toolbar buttons" (visible buttons).
Q: How do I customize RoboForm buttons in the Standard IE toolbar?
A: There are two steps in this process:
- Add RF buttons to Standard IE Toolbar. Go to "RoboForm -> Options -> IE Context menu". In this tab you can specify which RF buttons should be made available in Standard IE toolbar. Your changes to context menu will become effective only after you close all IE windows and open a new IE window (restart IE).
- Make RF buttons visible in Standard IE Toolbar. Right-click the Standard IE toolbar and select "Customize...". The "Customize Toolbar" dialog appears. In it use "Add" and "Remove" buttons to move RoboForm buttons from "Available toolbar buttons" to "Current toolbar button" to make them visible and in the opposite direction to make them invisible.
Q: Can I reduce the number of RoboForm items in the IE Tools menu?
A: Every RoboForm menu item in IE Tools menu corresponds to a button on the IE Standard toolbar. The only way to delete these items is to delete corresponding RoboForm Standard IE toolbar buttons: In the "Options -> Other" dialog click "Customize IE Context Menu and Standard Toolbar" and remove unwanted buttons. Your changes will become effective only when you restart IE.
Q: How do I customize (get rid of) RoboForm Context Menu Items?
A: Right-click any web page and select "Customize Menu" or go to "RoboForm -> Options -> IE context menu". In this dialog you can specify which RoboForm IE context menu items should be visible. Your changes will become effective only after you restart IE.
Q: I enabled all RoboForm IE context menu items but not all of them show up. What should I do?
A: Internet Explorer has a limit on the number of context menu items that it can show. So if you enabled a number of RoboForm context menu items, restarted Internet Explorer and you still do not see the few last RoboForm context menu items then maybe you have hit this limit. If you suspect that this is the case then uninstall other software products that add IE context menu items or increase the resolution of your display.
RoboForm Taskbar Icon - Troubleshooting
Q: Taskbar icon is not visible in the Windows XP taskbar. What should I do?
A: For some reason Windows XP does not show all the Taskbar/SysTray icons. To make it show all icons, right-click the XP Taskbar, select Properties, uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons" and click OK. The RoboForm Taskbar icon will appear.
Q: How do I tell RoboForm Taskbar icon not to appear when Windows starts up?
A: Go to the "RoboForm -> Options" dialog and uncheck "Show RoboForm Icon in Taskbar on Windows Startup".
Saving Forms to Passcards - Troubleshooting
Q: Troubleshooter: The AutoSave dialog does not come up when I expect it to. Why?
A: There are several reasons why AutoSave may not work. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and it will tell you how to fix it.
- First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter. Then check the AutoSave-specific items below.
- Submitted form contains no Password fields. Entering into most online account requires filling a password field that appears as "****" (stars). However in rare cases the login information contains no password fields. If you need to save such login info to a Passcard, use manual save to Passcards: fill in the login info and click the "Save" button on the RoboForm toolbar or select "Save Forms" from the IE context menu.
- The login info from the submitted form is already saved to one of existing Passcards.
- Form has too many fields. If the submitted form has 6 or more text fields, AutoSave will not be offered. Click Save button in toolbar to activate Save Forms manually.
- AutoSave may be off or you may have played with options and set them to values that prevent AutoSave from working. Set all options to their default values by opening the Options dialog (select RoboForm. Options) and clicking "Set Defaults" button.
- You may have created a blocking Passcard for this web site. Once the blocking Passcard (it has "-Blocked-" in its name) is created, AutoSave will not come up on all pages of this web site. Remove the Blocking Passcard: go to this web site, click "Save", then click "Unblock".
Q: How can I disable AutoSave just for one web site?
A: If you do not want AutoSave to pop up on any pages of a particular site, click drop down arrow of Cancel button in Save Forms dialog and select the Do not AutoSave at This site menu item. This will create a Blocking Passcard, its name will have "-Blocked-" after the web site name. To unblock AutoSave for a web site, go to this site, click Save and then click the Unblock link.
Q: How can I permanently disable AutoSave for all web sites?
A: If you want RoboForm not to pop up the AutoSave dialog then click the Cancel button pulldown in the Save Forms dialog and select Do Not AutoSave at All sites. To re-enable AutoSave, click the "Save" button, then click the "Enable AutoSave" link. You can also turn AutoSave on and off in RoboForm -> Options -> AutoSave.
Filling Forms from Passcards and Identities, Login - Troubleshooting
Q: Troubleshooter: Filling Forms from Identities or Passcards does not work as expected. Why?
A: There are several reasons why form filling may not work as expected. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
- First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter. Then check the form filling items below.
- You are trying to fill (save) a Flash form, Java form or other non-HTML form. RoboForm only fills HTML forms and Basic Authentication forms, not Flash or Java forms. You can check which the form is by right-clicking it. Flash objects have a specific Flash context menu.
- If you are filling form from Passcard and some fields are not filled, this may be caused by changes in this web page. Resave the Passcard for this form and then it will fill OK. The best way to resave login Passcard is to ALT + CLICK (Alt+Shift+Click on Firefox) the login button on web page or press SHIFT + ENTER in the password field.
- Make sure that you fill non-empty fields too, because some selection fields are always considered non-empty. Turn off the "Fill Empty Fields Only" option in form filling mini-dialog and/or in Fill Forms dialog.
- If robo-filling would not change any field values on the form then RoboForm does not fill forms and issues a warning.
- If encoding of web page is not set correctly then RoboForm cannot read the page. If the letters on the page are not intelligible to you because of wrong encoding then RoboForm cannot read them either.
- Your data in Identity may have become incorrect. Open Identity in Identity Editor and verify that data is correct.
Q: How do I memorize multi-step login sequences such as in Bank of America?
A: Using several passcard -- one passcard for each step the login sequence. Details are here in the manual.
Q: How do I make RoboForm to Login in new tab window in multitab browser such as IE 7, IE 8 or Firefox?
A: Multitab browsers do not have a mechanism to tell them to start navigation in the new tab.
- So you should use New Window option in RoboForm -> Options -> Login Browser, or SHIFT+click the passcard in Logins menu to cause Login in New Window.
- Also you should tell your browser to open links from other programs in New Tab, not New Window. In IE7 this is controlled by option "Tools -> Internet Options -> Tabs Settings -> Open Links from Other Programs In -> A new Tab in the Current Window". In Firefox this is option "Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> New Pages Should be Opened in -> A New Tab".
- Finally you should tell RoboForm that you are not using agressive popup blocker by unchecking option "RoboForm -> Options -> Login Browser -> Popup Blocker is Active". Built-in popup blockers of IE7 and Firefox are not "agressive", so they do not need this option. We do not recommend using any non-native popup blockers because they kill RoboForm Logins in New Window thinking that these are popups.
Q: I filled in some fields manually and RoboForm fills them in again. How can I avoid this?
A: There are two ways:
- Fill Empty Fields Only option: In form filling mini-dialog or AutoFill dialog check option "Fill Empty Fields Only" and RoboForm will fill only fields that are now empty (not filled) and it will not fields that are already filled. Note that some selection fields always have values in them, so RoboForm will not fill such fields if this option is On.
- Selective Form Filling: You can ask RoboForm to fill only a part of the form by pulling selection (highlighting) the fields that you want to fill before clicking Fill Forms. Pulling selection over just a few fields may appear to be difficult, but it can be done after some exercise: Start with the field caption (cover the caption too) and stop before the caption of the next field.
Q: A form has names and e-mails of other people but RoboForm fills my name and e-mail. What to do?
A: Let us use this form as an example.
- Create separate Identities for You and Your Friend(s).
- Pull selection (highlight) over "Your Name" and "Your E-Mail" fields on the form.
- Click Identities button on RoboForm toolbar and select your Identity. First two fields will be filled from your Identity.
- Pull selection (highlight) over "1st Recipient Name" and "1st Recipient E-Mail" fields.
- Select your friend`s Identity from Identities and the selected fields will be filled.
- Continue for other friends.
Pulling selection over just a few fields (not all of them) can be done, but it requires some training. Start with the field caption (cover the caption too) and stop before the caption of the next field.
Q: How do I fill Shipping and Billing Address using RoboForm?
A: Do this:
- In Identity Editor go to Address tab and create two Addresses: Billing and Shipping. Save Identity.
- Pull selection (highlight) over Shipping Address part of the online form.
- Mouse over your identity button in RoboForm toolbar, select Shipping Address in the list of offered Addresses. Click Fill Forms.
- Pull selection (highlight) over Billing Address part of the online form.
- Mouse over your identity button in RoboForm toolbar, select Billing Address in the list of offered Addresses. Click Fill Forms.
Q: How can I enter several credit cards into one Identity?
A: Do this:
- In Identity Editor go to Credit Card tab.
- Click "New Credit Card".
- Fill out new credit card data.
- Save Identity.
- Go to web page, mouse over this Identity button in RoboForm toolbar and it will show you choice of credit cards that you entered.
Q: I see only the US in the list of countries in Identity. How do I change it to another country?
A: Form filling and field formatting rules are different for different countries, so RoboForm Identities have different format and structure for different countries.
You should specify the Country of your Identity when you create this Identity, in the New Identity dialog. The list of countries that appears in Address tab of Identity contains only the Country for which Identity was created. So if you created a USA Identity, it will contain only USA in the list of countries.
If you want to change Country in the existing Identity, open Identity Editor and select "Edit -> Country -> Your Country". If your Country is not listed, select "Other". The "Other" Country is good for countries for which RoboForm does not know field formatting and form filling rules, it gives you the most generic Identity in which phone numbers are not formatted and which does not have any other country-specific field formatting.
When you change Country of existing Identity, some fields may lose their values because set of Identity fields is different for different world regions and formatting of these fields is different. Therefore you need to manually check the changed Identity and correct fields that were lost.
Q: My phone number is not filled correctly anymore. What should I do?
A: If you upgraded to a new version and your phone number does not fill correctly, please check your Identity and make sure that your phone number appears correctly. We change format of phone numbers from time to time, especially in foreign countries and conversion from older versions is not always automatic.
Q: RoboForm made a mistake when filling a form. How come?
A: The RoboForm intellect is good but it has not yet matched the power of human intellect. So RoboForm can make mistakes when filling forms. First, download the latest RoboForm version and see if the problem persists. If it does, please send the address (URL) of the form you tried to fill out and a description of what exactly was not filled to us by email.
Q: I upgraded to RoboForm Pro but Identity Editor still shows only 5 custom fields. How do I get more?
A: As you fill custom fields, RoboForm will add more fields. New empty fields are added to always maintain 5 new fields. Addition of new empty fields happens when you click Apply (Diskette) button in Editor or when you close and reopen Identity.
Q: Login command does not login into the site automatically. What should I do?
A: Try resaving Passcard, as position or identification of controls may have changed and RoboForm cannot find the right button. The best way to do it is to fill forms from Passcard and then click Login button while holding ALT (Alt+Shift+Click in Firefox). This will force AutoSave.
AutoFill dialog - Troubleshooting
Q: Troubleshooter: The AutoFill dialog does not come up when I expect it to. Why?
A: There are several reasons why AutoFill may not work. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and it will tell you how to fix it.
- First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter. Then check the AutoFill-specific items below.
- Web page contains only non-password fields. By default AutoFill from Passcard will not come up in this case. You can change this behavior by opening RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill and unchecking the "AutoFill from Passcards only on pages with Passwords" option.
- The login form that you saved to a Passcard may have changed and the new login form does not match the saved form data. Fill the form manually. When you submit the form, RoboForm will offer to AutoSave it, save it over the old Passcard and then AutoFill should come up.
- AutoFill may be off or you may have set RoboForm options to values that prevent AutoFill from working. Set all options to their default values by opening the Options dialog (select RoboForm -> Options) and clicking "Set Defaults" button.
- You may have created a blocking Passcard for this web site. Once the blocking Passcard (it has "-Blocked-" in its name) is created, AutoFill will not come up on all pages of this web site. Remove the Blocking Passcard and AutoFill will work on this site: go to this web site, click "Fill Forms", then click "Unblock".
- You have multiple monitors connected to your PC. Browser window is on the right edge of the 1st monitor and AutoFill dialog comes up to the right of it, that is, on the left edge of the 2nd monitor. 2nd monitor is turned off or you do not look at it.
- If Number of fillable fields on web page is less than "Number of fields that triggers AutoFill from Identity" threshold then AutoFill will not come up. AutoFill from Identity comes up only on web pages where number of fillable fields is more than this threshold. You can change the threshold in the RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill dialog.
- RoboForm did not find any fields that it can fill on your form. For instance, RoboForm will not fill the Search form on google.com because it does not contain any personal fields you have in Identity.
Q: How can I permanently disable AutoFill for all web sites?
A: If you want RoboForm not to pop up the AutoFill dialog then click the No button pulldown in Fill Forms dialog and select Do Not AutoFill at All sites. To re-enable AutoFill, click the "Fill Forms" button, then the "Enable AutoFill" link. You can also turn AutoFill on and off in RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill.
Q: How can I disable AutoFill just for one web site?
A: If you do not want AutoFill to pop up on any pages of a particular site, click No button pulldown in Fill Forms dialog and select Do not AutoFill at This site. This will create a Blocking Passcard, its name will have "-Blocked-" after the web site name. To unblock AutoFill for a web site, go to this site, click Fill Forms and then click the Unblock link.
Q: How can I make AutoFill come up only for Passcards and not for Identities?
A: Open the Options dialog (RoboForm -> Options) and set the appropriate AutoFill option: (i) Only from Passcards, (ii) Only from Identities, (iii) From Passcards & Identities.
Q: How can I customize location and behavior of AutoFill dialog?
A: To customize location in which AutoFill dialog appears, go to RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill and select one of these locations:
- Center: in the center of the browser window,
- Right Out: outside the window on the right,
- Right In: inside the window on its right edge.
By default AutoFill dialog leaves keyboard focus in the browser when it pops up. If you check "AutoFill steals keyboard focus" then RoboForm dialog will be taking keyboard input when it pops up.
Q: I enter web page where I can edit my personal information and it is pre-filled by RoboForm?
A: You have "AutoFill Without Asking" turned On. Turn it Off by opening RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill dialog and unchecking "AutoFill Without Asking".
Q: Why some Passcards appear in bold in FillForms dialog?
A: Passcards that are bold have URL that exactly matches URL of the current web page.
Q: AutoFill dialog is not positioned properly. Why?
A: If you use ATI HydraVision, it may damage positioning of AutoFill dialog. Go to into HydraVision options, Desktop Management tab, and uncheck 'Enable dialog repositioning' checkbox, this will make AutoFill dialog be positioned correctly.
Q: How can I change the number of fields that causes the AutoFill dialog to come up?
A: By opening Options dialog and setting the "Number of fields that triggers AutoFill from Identity". AutoFill from Identity comes up only if the number of fillable text fields is equal to or greater than the value of this setting (4 by default). Note that AutoFill from Passcards is not affected by this setting.
Password-Protecting Passcards and Identities - Security
Q: I forgot my Master Password. Can I recover it?
A: You cannot. The whole point of Passcard and Identity security is that only the person who knows the Master Password can use Passcards and Identities protected by this password. If you forgot your Master Password (or if you do not remember creating one but RoboForm requests it from time to time) then the only course of action is to remove all Passcards and Identities protected by Master Password and then remove Master Password itself. In "Options -> Security" click "Set Master Password, Mass Protect/Unprotect" button, click "I forgot it!" button and follow the instructions.
Q: If somebody steals my RoboForm Passcard files, can they get into my accounts?
A: If you password-protect all sensitive Passcards and Identities and then it will be very difficult. Specifically, all password-protected Passcards and Identities are stored in files that are encrypted by your Master Password using AES, BlowFish or 3DES. So a person who stole your computer or password files, will have to break these encryption algorithms in order to get your passwords from Passcards. As long as you observe these rules, it should be very hard to use the stolen info:
- Password-protect all sensitive Passcards and Identities. Anyone can see and use Passcard or Identity that is not password-protected.
- Make your Master Password long enough and un-obvious enough, so that it cannot be defeated by a simple dictionary attack. Do not use any words or names from any widely used languages, make your Master Password at least 10 characters long.
- Use AES, BlowFish, or RC6 for encryption, they are harder to break than other algorithms.
- More info on RoboForm security: click here.
Q: I entered Master Password and now RF opens all password-protected Passcards not asking for MP?
A: After you enter Master Password it is cached in memory, so that you do not have to enter it all the time. You can tell RoboForm to "forget" the cached password by clicking the Logoff button (see below). Or you can tell RoboForm to Auto-Forget Master Password after a period of inactivity in Options -> Security.
Q: Why Robot icon wears sunglasses from time to time?
A: When you entered Master Password and RoboForm has it cached in memory, RoboForm TaskBar icon and RoboForm Toolbar icon will turn into a stylized Robot with sunglasses. Robot with Sunglasses shows that you are logged in to RoboForm and you do not need to enter Master Password anymore. Robot without Sunglasses means that you are logged out from RoboForm and when you need to open protected Passcard or Identity, Master Password will be requested.
Q: How can I make sure that nobody can use my Passcards when I need to step out?
A: Make RoboForm forget the cached Master Password by clicking Logoff on the toolbar. You may also use Auto-Logoff option that makes RoboForm purge the cached Master Password after a period of inactivity. When the "Logoff" button is enabled, it means that RoboForm has your Master Password cached in memory. When this button is disabled then RoboForm has no passwords cached.
Q: How are my Identities and Passcards encrypted?
A: Your Identities and Passcards are encrypted using AES, BlowFish, RC6 or 3DES algorithm and the encryption / decryption key is generated from the Master Password. This encryption method makes your data very secure and even if hackers come into possession of your Identity and Passcard files, they will have to crack one of these encryption algorithm without knowing the key which is considered impossible. By default AES encryption is used.
Q: What is the relationship between the Default Password from Identity and Passwords stored in Passcards?
A: There is no relationship. They all play different roles:
- The Default UserID and Password in Identity is used when a site asks you to create a UserID / Password pair and you do not want to type in the new password. Then you can fill forms from Identity and your default UserID and Password from Identity will be filled in. We recommend using your Default UserID and Password only for sites that are not really sensitive. Do not use it for your bank accounts.
- When you need to memorize or fill site-specific User ID and Password then use Passcards.
Q: How do I tell RoboForm not to password-protect all my new Passcards?
A: Open the Options dialog, go to Security tab and un-check "Password-Protect New Passcards". Then RoboForm will not offer to password-protect newly saved Passcards.
Q: I need no password protection for my Identities and Passcards. How do I get rid of Master Password?
A: You need to get rid of Master Password completely:
- Tell RoboForm not to password-protect new Passcards and Identities.
- If you have already created a number of password-protected Passcards and/or Identities, you can remove password protection from them by going to RoboForm -> Options -> Security, clicking "Set Master Password, Mass Protect/Unprotect", checking the "Remove Master Password" option and clicking OK.
- If you forgot your Master Password then click "I forgot it!" button in the Set/Remove Master Password dialog.
Managing Identities, Passcards and Settings
Q: How do I copy RoboForm with all its data from one computer to another computer?
A: In 3 easy steps:
- Install RoboForm on the new computer from RoboForm Download Page.
- Copy RoboForm data files from the old computer to the new computer using Backup and Restore or any file copy program such as Windows Explorer.
- If you paid for RoboForm Pro before and you will be using both old and new computer, buy an additional license for the new computer: go to Buy Upgrades page and follow instructions.
- If you paid for RoboForm Pro before and you will stop using the old computer, activate RoboForm Pro on the new computer using Online Pro Activator.
Q: How do I synchronize Passcards and Identities of RoboForm between several computers or between computer and USB key?
A: There are 3 ways to do it:
- Use automatic file synchronization tool GoodSync. We recommend to use this method, as it also automatically backs up Passcards to another computer.
- Copy RoboForm User Data Folder from one computer to another. Use this method if you have one main computer that keeps master copy of User Data and you need to synchronize it with USB key without using file sync software.
- Keep RoboForm User Data on a networked drive and make RoboForm on all computers use the same folder on this drive. Then all computers that can see this drive will see the same set of Passcards and Identities. You should consider these issues:
- Slowdown. Reading files over the network takes time, especially with Microsoft protocols.
- Synchronization. If you change/create/delete file on one computer, other computers will see the change only when you run "Folder -> Refresh" command.
- Disconnects. If your computer is disconnected from the network then it may become very slow because RoboForm will be looking for User Data Folder and it will be timing out on network access.
Q: How do I get back to the default RoboForm settings?
A: Yes, you may have changed some setting(s), forgotten what they were and now RoboForm does not work well. The best way to fix this is to reset all setting to their default values. Open the Options dialog and click "Set Defaults".
Q: RoboForm cannot save Passcards or Identities saying that "Access is Denied". What to do?
A: If you transferred Passcard and Identity files to CD-R or CD-RW or Zip disk or any other medium used for backup then it is likely that Microsoft made these files "Read-Only". So when you transfer backed up files back to your hard disk then RoboForm cannot write to it. Open Windows Explorer, examine Properties of every *.RFT and *.RFP file and uncheck "Read-Only" flag.
Q: I cannot save new passcards on Vista, RF says that file cannot be overwritten. What to do?
A: RoboForm and RoboForm2Go work fine with Vista starting with ver 6.9.3. However given that Vista does not allow Internet Explorer browser to write any user files and RoboForm is a component of the browser, we have to set permissions for passcard files to the special level that makes them writeable to Internet Explorer and therefore RoboForm. Setting of Passcard permissions occur when:
- You install RoboForm onto Vista computer.
- You click button RoboForm -> Options -> User Data -> Set Correct File Permissions.
RoboForm itself maintains correct permission when writing user data files (passcards, etc) but if you modify any RoboForm data files using external means such as restoring passcards from backup, or syncing passcards using GoodSync, or even simply copying them to RF user data folder using Windows Explorer, this would make them read-only to the browser again. So whenever you bring in passcard files from outside to RoboForm on Vista, you should run RoboForm -> Options -> User Data -> Set Correct File Permissions.
Q: How can I remove all my Passcards and Identities?
A: Check box "Remove all Passcards, Identities, Safenotes" when uninstalling RoboForm.
Q: I receive messages such as: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. Operation aborted. What is causing this?
A: Most likely, old version of Skype IE Addon. Old versions of Skype IE addon modify every web page that you visit in order to highlight phone numbers, even if web page contains no phone numbers at all. Most of the time these modifications are not visible.
But sometimes they cause problems in browsing, even if RoboForm is not installed. Examplee 1: try to login to gmail.com. Sometimes you cannot login. Example 2: try to login to Hotmail or any live.com site/ Sometimes you cannot login. Example 3: When activating RoboForm Pro, you get: Internet Explorer cannot display the web page.
All these problems will disappear if you install the new version of Skype Addon (at least ver. 126.96.36.199). Or you can disable Skype IE Addon: In Internet Explorer: select Tools -> Manage AddOns -> Enable or Disable Addons. In Enabled Addons select Skype Addon and select Disable.
Q: How different RoboForm components affect performance of my computer?
A: When AutoFill is On, RoboForm will analyze every web page that you download to see whether forms on this page can be filled from your Passcards and/or Identities. It takes processor cycles. So we recommend to keep AutoFill off and to use form filling from RoboForm Toolbar instead.
"AutoSave" analyzes your form to see whether it is worth saving to Passcard when you click a Submit button. The slowdown caused by it is minimal, so we recommend to keep AutoSave always On.
Q: How do I report a problem or a suspected bug?
A: If RoboForm behaves in an unexpected way or if it does not fill forms or if an "Assertion Failed" window pops up, please report this situation to us by email. Your report will be analyzed and you will receive a reply.
Please understand, however, that we cannot see your computer and that we cannot fix your problem unless we can reproduce it. It means that you should send us a sufficiently detailed description of the problem to allow us to reproduce it. Please include the following information in your problem report e-mail:
- Versions of RoboForm, IE, and Windows. You can get this information from RoboForm -> Help -> About dialog. If you encountered the "Failed Assertion" dialog then version information is placed on the system clipboard and you just need to click Ctrl+V in your e-mail client to paste it.
- Sequence of actions that caused the problem. Please send us the sequence of your actions that caused the problem. Be specific in describing your actions -- remember, we cannot see your computer. Start with "All my IE windows are closed. I open a new IE window and ...".
- Web Site addresses: be specific. If you navigate your browser to a web site, send us the URL (web address) of this web site. We do not know what web site you visited, so you need to tell us. If this URL is dynamic then send us the sequence of buttons/links we need to click to get to the web page in question.
- Buttons that you click: be specific. When you cause RoboForm to do something (say, fill forms), please specify exactly what menu item you selected or what button you clicked. Sometimes the effects of the command may depend on how it was invoked, so it is important for us to know precisely what you did.
Q: When I fill forms sometimes I see brief Internet activity. Is it related to RoboForm?
A: Yes. RoboForm has an auto-updater feature built-in. It checks our web site for new RoboForm versions from time to time and when it sees a new version that warrants updating, it will pop up a dialog that will offer to upgrade to the new version. You can ask RoboForm to check for new version by selecting RoboForm -> Help -> New Version Check.
Q: Why does the AutoUpdate dialog come up so often? It is annoying.
A: You can turn off AutoUpdate notifications in "Options -> Version".
I Like RoboForm
Q: I like RoboForm. How can I help?
A: We are glad to hear that you liked RoboForm. These are several things you can do:
- Purchase RoboForm Pro.
- Tell all your friends and relatives about RoboForm. You can use our Tell-a-Friend page.
- Post your comment about RoboForm at Download.com: go to download.com, search for RoboForm, click on "You rate this title" link.
- Contact PC Magazine and PC World editors and tell them how much you like RoboForm.